top of page

Types of Kitas in Indonesia

KITAS is the non-permanent residence card in Indonesia. Learn how to live in Indonesia legally. If you are planning to work in Indonesia or stay in Indonesia for longer than a few months, you need a limited stay permit (KITAS).

This article will guide you through the different options for getting a KITAS in Indonesia as well as explain the process for obtaining a working KITAS.

There are four most common types of KITAS in Indonesia:

#1 KITAS sponsored by Indonesian entities (work permit)

For a KITAS sponsored by an Indonesian entity, or a working KITAS in other words, you must first make sure that you have a sponsoring entity that is registered in Indonesia.

This entity can be a:

  • Foreign-owned limited liability company (PT PMA) or Indonesian limited liability company (PT)

  • Representative office

  • Foundation

Secondly, you need to confirm your position at the sponsoring company as the limited stay permit is issued based on the approval of your work permit which requires the details of your job title and location.

The length of your KITAS depends on your job title. For example, directors and commissioners are guaranteed to get an extendable 1-year KITAS. Advisors and managers can also get a 12-month KITAS; however, it is subject to the immigration officials’ decision, and often, they are granted a non-extendable 6-month KITAS.

Sponsoring entity should propose a job title by the regulations issued by the Ministry of Manpower and this depends on the business classification of the entity. As a general rule, the positions that a foreigner can apply for are limited to director, commissioner, manager, or advisory roles.

#2 KITAS sponsored by Indonesian spouse

Being married to an Indonesian citizen enables you to apply for a KITAS sponsored by your Indonesian spouse.

You can apply for a spouse-sponsored KITAS immediately after getting married. However, for a spouse-sponsored KITAP (permanent stay permit) which is valid for five years, you need to be married for at least two years.

Note that spouse KITAS allows you to live, but not to work in Indonesia. If you have a KITAP sponsored by your spouse, you can work in Indonesia as an independent consultant.

If you start working for a company (i.e., will be employed or start your own business), you have to obtain a working KITAS sponsored by the company and give up your spouse KITAS.

In practice, however, some local authorities make an exception and allow to have a spouse KITAS and a working KITAS sponsored by a company at the same time.

See our previous blog post for more detailed information about spouse-sponsored KITAS.

#3 Retirement KITAS

If you are at least 55 and don’t plan to work in Indonesia, you can apply for a retirement visa which enables you to live in Indonesia, lease property, and enter the country as many times as you like.

Indonesian retirement visa is valid for one year, and it is extendable four times on the same conditions as when initially applying. After that, it is possible to proceed with retirement KITAP (permanent stay permit) which is valid for five years.

Key requirements for applying for a retirement visa in Indonesia are:

  • Age 55 or older

  • Health insurance that covers Indonesia, validity at least one year (VIVO ASIA can assist you with the insurance)

  • Lease agreement in Indonesia, valid for at least one year (VIVO ASIA can help you find a house)

  • Must employ a maid or a domestic helper in Indonesia

  • A monthly pension of at least US$ 1,500 or a copy of a deposit account showing US$ 18,000 in the statement

If your spouse is not 55 yet, but you both want to retire in Indonesia, the spouse can obtain a dependent KITAS which you can sponsor once you have your retirement visa.

If the retirement KITAS suits your needs, see the step-by-step guide to a retirement visa in Indonesia.

#4 Dependent KITAS

If you are a KITAS holder and you are planning to relocate to Indonesia with a spouse and children under the age of 17, they can apply for a dependent KITAS which you can sponsor.

The duration of a dependent KITAS is the same as your KITAS. However, note that a dependent KITAS does not allow to work in Indonesia.

Want to live in Indonesia, but don’t have a job, company, or a local spouse? Read our previous article to learn how getting a KITAS via an employer of record allows you to stay in Indonesia legally and without the need for doing costly visa runs.

Working KITAS application process in Indonesia

Previously, foreigners who wanted to work in Indonesia had to obtain a separate work permit (IMTA). In July 2018, however, Indonesia released a new work permit regulation that replaced IMTA with a notification from the Ministry of Manpower, allowing a much faster work permit processing.

Other significant changes are that directors and commissioners who are also shareholders in the company no longer have to proceed to RPTKA and non-resident directors and commissioners don’t need a work permit in Indonesia.

Start your KITAS application process today by booking a free consultation via


bottom of page