top of page

Spouse sponsored marriage KITAS in Indonesia

Indonesian spouse visa requirements

How to get a marriage

KITAS in Indonesia

What happens in the case of a divorce?

False and outdated information

Getting a spouse sponsored KITAS can turn out to be a part-time job for you in Indonesia. In this article, we will give you an overview of the process of acquiring a spouse sponsored marriage KITAS in Indonesia.

Indonesian spouse visa requirements

In order for you to apply for this visa, sometimes referred to as the family or marriage KITAS, you have to be married to an Indonesian citizen and have an official marriage certificate acknowledged by the Indonesian government.

If you get married abroad, you need to have a CNI (Certificate of No Impediment to marriage). In that case, the CNI and the marriage certificate have to be translated into Indonesian and legalized in Indonesia.

How to get a marriage KITAS in Indonesia

Step 1: Apply for a limited stay permit (VITAS) approval

In order to receive a spouse sponsored limited stay permit (KITAS), you need to enter the country with a limited stay visa (VITAS). Before you can obtain a VITAS, you need to apply for a VITAS approval, known as a telex.

The Indonesian Immigration Office in Jakarta issues VITAS approvals and sends them to Indonesian embassies abroad. VIVO ASIA can apply for a limited stay permit in Jakarta on your behalf.

However, if you already are in Indonesia with a Social Visit Visa, you need to convert that visa into a VITAS before you can obtain a KITAS. We can help you on this matter as well.

It takes 5 working days to process VITAS approval applications.

Documents required for a VITAS approval

  • Marriage certificate

  • Copy of Family Card and ID Card of the Indonesian spouse (status as “married”)

  • Latest bank statement copy of the Indonesian spouse

  • Sponsor letter (drafted by VIVO ASIA)

Step 2: Collect your limited stay visa (VITAS) at the Indonesian embassy

Once the application is accepted, VITAS approval will be telexed to the corresponding Indonesian embassy abroad. They will issue you a limited stay visa (VITAS) based on the application approval.

You must convert VITAS into a limited stay permit (KITAS) as soon as you have entered Indonesia.

Step 3: Convert VITAS into a limited stay permit (KITAS)

After you have arrived in Indonesia with a VITAS, you have seven days (yes, only 7) to convert it into a limited stay permit (KITAS). We will stress this again – if you go past that seven-day mark, you lose the possibility to convert your VITAS into a KITAS.

You should not go abroad before converting the VITAS into a KITAS. If you leave Indonesia, your VITAS will no longer be valid. However, with a KITAS you can exit and re-enter Indonesia since multiple exit and re-entry permits (MERP) come together with it.

KITAS, which is now in the form of an online record instead of a card, allows you to stay in Indonesia. Unfortunately, you will not be able to work with this visa. Once you find employment in Indonesia, your employer must apply for a work and stay permit for you.

This will be additional to the spouse sponsored KITAS as this cannot be converted into a work permit.

Documents required for a KITAS application (when converting VITAS)

  • Application form (prepared by VIVO ASIA)

  • Physical presence at immigration for biometric data processing

When using VIVO ASIA’s service, this will be the only time you have to go to the immigration office. We will take care of the rest of the paperwork as well as the legwork.

The acquisition of a marriage KITAS can take up to 8 working days after you return to Indonesia and it is valid for one year. However, you can renew it yearly. The application for the extension must be launched at least 30 days before the expiry.

Step 4: Civil registration and police reporting

Every foreigner who has a KITAS sponsored by an Indonesian spouse has to register themselves under the civil administration department. The registration must be done in 14 days after the issuance of KITAS.

After civil registration you will obtain:

  • Certificate of Family Formation of Temporary Residents (SKSKPS)

  • Police Report Certificate (STM)

Step 5: Convert KITAS into a permanent stay permit (KITAP)

After two years of marriage with your Indonesian spouse, you can apply for a permanent residence visa (KITAP). This means that if you have already been married for two years, you can convert your KITAS immediately.

Benefits of having a KITAP:

  • Valid for 5 years, no yearly hassle

  • MERP (multiple exit/re-entry permit)

  • SKLD, national police registration card (valid for 5 years)

  • KTP, Indonesian Identity card (valid for 5 years)

  • SIM, Indonesian driver’s license (valid for 5 years)

KITAP also allows you to work as a sole entrepreneur in Indonesia, as it is guaranteed under Indonesian Immigration Law No. 6 2011, Article 61. You can be an adviser or a consultant, for example.

However, even with a KITAP you need to renew your residency every 5 years. Unfortunately, only Indonesian citizenship will not require you to renew your immigration status.


bottom of page